US Airways Flights: Using British Airways Avios out of Charlotte-CLT
As I wrote about here (How-to: Book US Airways Flights With British Airways Avios), US Airways officially joined the Oneworld Alliance about a month ago. Joining the ranks of American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, LAN etc…, US Airways is now eligible for bookings with Avios. This opens up lots of opportunities for maximizing short, non-stop flights out of US Airways’ hub cities: Charlotte-CLT, Philadelphia-PHL, Phoenix-PHX and Washington-Reagan-DCA.
First in this series is Charlotte, North Carolina-CLT. From my research, appx 30 million people live within a 5-hour drive of the city, making it relatively easy for them to drive and take take advantage of the savings of non-stop flights. I have compiled this map to help assist in visualizing and then planning just how far a British Airways Avios will take you on US Airways:
Some great values are Charlotte-CLT to:
- Toronto-YYZ for 9k Avios roundtrip in economy.
- Freeport, Bahamas-FPO for 9k Avios roundtrip in economy.
- Any of the Zone 1 destinations are typically a great value.
- These destinations in the Caribbean for 15k Avios roundtrip in economy: Key West-EYW, Nassau-NAS, Bermuda-BDA, Turks and Caicos-PLS, Cancun-CUN, Cozumel-CZM.
- Other destinations in the Caribbean for 20k Avios roundtrip in economy: Belize-BZE, Montego Bay-MBJ, Punta Cana-PUJ, San Juan-SJU, St. Thomas-STT, Saint Croix-STX, Saint Maarten-SXM, St. Kitts-SKB, Antigua-ANU, St. Lucia-UVF, Aruba-AUA.
- A few cities in Europe fall under the 4,000 mile mark, making them only 40k Avios roundtrip in economy: Lisbon-LIS, Dublin-DUB, Manchester-MAN, London-LHR.
When you’re ready to book, follow this guide: How-to: Book US Airways Flights With British Airways Avios. And, don’t forget that you can transfer American Express Membership Rewards Points to British Airways to book flights with Avios.
BOTTOM LINE: This is a great addition for the ~30 million of us that are less than a 5-hour drive from Charlotte-CLT airport.