All about our Honeymoon trip: Bali, Jakarta, Singapore and the Maldives
We’d been stockpiling United miles for months and had finally saved enough for 2x round-trip tickets in first class, a cost of 140k miles each. After some painstaking (but exciting) mapping, routing and time on the phone with United award booking representatives, our itinerary ended up looking like this:
By using United award miles, we were able to take advantage of their routing rules to have 1 free stopover, 1 free open-jaw and 2 long connections that allowed us enough time to explore the city (aka 2 more free stopovers). It looked like this:
- Depart New York-JFK on Lufthansa to Frankfurt-FRA. We arrived in Frankfurt, Germany and had an appx 23 hours layover, this allowed us to stay the night without it counting as a stopover.
- Next flight was Frankfurt-FRA to Bangkok-BKK –> Denpasar-DPS (Bali). This was the beginning of our open-jaw.
- After about a week in Bali, we purchased a cheap ticket on Air Asia from Denpasar-DPS to Jakarta-CGK and explored the Indonesian capital for 2 nights.
- From Jakarta-CGK, we flew to Male-MLE in the Maldives via Singapore-SIN. The flight out of Jakarta concluded our open-jaw segment and we purposely picked an 8+ hour layover in Singapore, which allowed enough time to explore the city for a few hours.
- With the Maldives counting as our stopover, we stayed for a little less than a week and then began the trek home flying from Male-MLE –> Singapore-SIN –> Tokyo-NRT –> Newark-EWR. This concluded our United award ticket.
We were able to fly some pretty cool First Class cabins on this award ticket and visited some beautiful – and unique – places. We booked this ticket last summer for appx 140,000 United miles + $120 in taxes but, since United’s award devaluation, this same trip would now cost 260,000 United miles!
Here’s the overview of our trip and an outline of future posts:
– Photo Gallery: Around Bali
– Exploring Bali: Tanah Lot
– Exploring Bali: Taman Ayun
– Villa Semana – Ubud, Bali
– Photo Gallery: Around Ubud
– Lounge Review: CIP Lounge Denpasar-DPS Domestic Terminal
– Air Asia – Denpasar to Jakarta
– Keraton at The Plaza Hotel, Jakarta
– Photo Gallery and Walking Tour: Around Jakarta
– Esplanade Lounge – Jakarta
– Singapore Airlines “First Class” – Jakarta to Singapore
– Photo Gallery: Exploring Singapore
– Singapore Changi Airport
– Lounge Review: KrisFlyer Silver Lounge – Singapore
– Singapore Airlines Business Class – Singapore to Male, Maldives
– Male, Maldives & Hotel Octave
– Lounge @ MLE Domestic Terminal
– Maldivian flight – Male to Kooddoo
– Park Hyatt Maldives
– Plaza Premium Lounge – Male International Terminal
– All Nippon Airways Boeing 787 Dreamliner Business Class – Singapore to Tokyo
– United Airlines BusinessFirst Cabin – Tokyo to Newark